Friday, December 17, 2010

Band-aids, the cure all

Do you remember falling down as a child and scraping your elbow or your knee?  Then you would run to mommy because you knew she would have a band-aid and that would make it all better.  Some days, don't you wish a band-aid would still stop the hurts of this world?
This may be a strange post for the Christmas season, but I see so many hurting people around me and that hurts my heart.  I would love to give them a band-aid and know that it would help them feel better, but we know now, as grown-ups, that sometimes hurts have to be cleaned to heal and and lets face it, healing hurts.
Sometimes to heal, we need that friend to just kind of slap us back into reality and let us know we need to get over ourselves....I think this would be the alcohol approach to the cleaning/healing process.  Its, at times, very necessary, but it always stings a bit!
Then we have those friends who might just encourage us and walk with us until our hurts begin to heal...this I look at as the hydrogen peroxide process....slowly it "bubbles" the hurt away, and in a way...having that friend beside us, its enjoyable to watch. 
Oh, but the best thing I remember about "boo boo's" was that cool lotion that would go on the hurt.  The healing balm.  We still have a healing balm today, for much bigger wounds.  God's Holy Word.  In Jeremiah the people are asked: 
"Is there no Balm in Gilead?
Is no physician there?
Why then is there no recovery
For the health of the daughter of my people? (Jer 8:21-22)
I think He may still ask us that question today.  Why don't we go to Him for the healing of our souls?  Perhaps we have hurt for so long, we just try to handle it ourselves, but infection of bitterness will eventually set in. Perhaps we just don't know what to do?  Hurts ignored, can still turn to infection for the soul.  If this is the case, let me urge you to seek the Great Physician, Jesus Christ.  In Him lies the answers to ALL of life's hurts.
This Christmas, enjoy the blessings of family and friends, the amazing privilege of giving, and of course enjoy all the goodies to eat!!  In the midst of it all, look at your hurts, give them to the Great Physician and let Him apply healing balm to your soul.  Also, be aware of the hurts of those around you. Care for them. Encourage them. Pray for them. Above all, point them to Jesus, that baby in the manger who grew to be the Savior for the world and the Healer of all hurts!

Dear most gracious Heavenly Father,  open my eyes to the hurts of those around me.  Break my heart for what breaks Yours.  Help me to always shine my light on You and for You.  Thank you for the promise found in Psalm 147:3, that You  "heal the brokenhearted and bind up their wounds."  Thank You for always being faithful to Your Word. Thank You for the hurts You have allowed in my life that have brought growth in my relationship with You. Thank You for that precious Gift You sent us long ago that is still celebrated today...the Child of Christmas who can fill us all with hope and joy if we open our hearts to Him.  Please hold those hurting souls right now in Your almighty arms and place someone in their path today to point them to You.  I ask this in the name of Jesus, the most precious name I know!  Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that, Toya. I join you in that prayer for our Great Physician to heal the broken and hurting hearts. He delights to do just that, we can be assured of it.

    ReplyDelete