Friday, October 14, 2011

Facebook, Friends, and Faith

This morning, while on Facebook on my computer I discovered, what some of you may have already discovered, that you can group your friends on there! I had NO idea! So now I have a "family" group and a "close friends" group. The family group was easy to comprise, I mean, family is family, but ahhh, what about those "close friends". Who do I assume are "close friends".

I started to really limit it, I mean Jason would have to be on there! After all, he is my bestest (I know that isn't a word, you English majors!), closest friend ever!  And though, while we were dating, I may have seen the world through the rose colored glasses of he's the only friend I need, now I'm a bit wiser. I've grow up. I've gotten married. I understand life bit more. I realize we need each other.

It seems that everywhere I've turned this week God has been trying to teach me something on friendship. Even a comedian we had while at a get-away this week shared with pastors and their wives how vital close friends are to them. He wanted to us to know how important it is for us to have those in our lives that we can be honest with, we can allow our weaknesses to be seen, those that will encourage us and point us to Him, someone that we would be willing to die for and know they'd do the same. Basically, who's gonna carry your coffin? Strangers or dear, precious friends?

Thinking on these things, I began to build my group. Would it be those that are just geographically close? Those that I talk to every week? Only those in a certain age category as myself (ugh)? :) Those that have only the same spiritual views as myself? Those optimistic, perky people or the ones with dread and doom on their statuses? Hmm.....

As I started adding folks, I realized a lot of the things above could be thrown out the window. The folks on there maybe as close as the neighborhood behind me, but there were also ones from Texas, Mississippi, as well as the uttermost parts of the earth! So no, geography doesn't really play a part in close friends. And those that I talk to every week? Nope, throw that one out to, because there are some, though we rarely talk to each other, is still very much a dear and precious part of my life. Age category? Ha!! Nope! Throw that one out too! I have older and younger, age really doesn't play a part in friendships. Now on to the same spiritual views as myself? I do believe these are very important factors in close friendships. How can one encourage me and pray for me (or me for them) if we don't agree here. I need those people in my life that will tell me, regardless of how I feel about myself, God still loves me. He waits with open arms to hold me. I want the ones that will always point me to Him and shine their lights on and for Him. The ones that can be very honest and give me a Bible verse that will slap me into reality at times and the ones that will grab my hand and pray with me in a moments notice. Oh yes, these friends I most definitely need!  Its the Aarons and Hurs (see Exodus 17:10-13) in our life, that will come beside us and hold us up. Those are the friends that topped my close friends list. The ones that are a part of my heart. Those who have endeared themselves to me.

I'm not sure if others can view your "close friends" list or not, but if you can view mine, and you know any of them, wow! You are blessed! Perhaps you are one of them, then know I am the blessed one indeed!!  Yes, I'm thankful to God for Facebook today and yet another reminder of His love and goodness on my life through friends and their encouragement as I grow in faith.

Yes Facebook is a great way to stay in touch with those we love, both near and far away. I'm reminded of the movie Beaches, where Hillary says, "Be sure to keep in touch, CC, okay?" to which CC replies, "Well sure, we're friends aren't we?"

No comments:

Post a Comment