Monday, October 3, 2011

Not Your Ordinary Rain Shower!

I'm trying to figure out where I would have been those many years ago when the first rain fell. Would I have found myself on the outside regretting all the ridicule I hurled at the old man, Noah, who had built such an enormous boat in the middle of a desert or would I have had the courage to stand beside him, encourage him and go inside that boat on the day he was told to enter?

Yes, the Classics Series this week covered Noah's Ark, complete with the timeless flannel graph display! 

I learned of Noah's complete obedience. He never consider himself too old to accomplish such a task for the Lord, he was just obedient. In every single detail.   I find myself today, being obedient in some areas, those areas that are comfortable for me, but what about those areas He wants obedience in that are outside of my comfort zone? How am I doing there?  God is not asking me to build an ark and be made fun of for many years while doing it, but He is asking me to be obedient now, where He's placed me. Its obvious that society today, and sadly, often those of us considered Christians as well, don't push us toward godly character, but rather pull us down either knowingly or unknowingly.  

Another thing pointed out that I've never considered is how the ark gives us a picture of Jesus.  It was there in the protection of the ark that Noah found protection, shelter and peace from the storm. Oh how often is it in the very presence of Jesus that I find those same things!  Just as Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord (Genesis 6:8) I have found that grace through the salvation Jesus provided on Calvary.   I also don't think I ever considered how Noah shut the door. I remember yesterday thinking....even while Jason was preaching, "how exactly did they seal that door?"  Well, then, Hello!! It was pointed out to me, once again, that God shut the door. He doesn't need a seal. He IS the seal! His hand held it, kept them safe. Oh how thankful I am to know He is still in the "holding" business!  I could never be strong enough to hold on to God, and I'm grateful I don't have to be, because I can trust His hand to hold me. 

It is often said that Christians live in a state of denial and believe everything is going to be okay, but that is so opposite of what the Bible tells us. His Word tells us in John 16:33,“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Yes. Troubles WILL come, but He has overcome this world and we can be secure in His hand!

We were also reminded that just as in the days of Noah, where people were eating and drinking and enjoying the pleasures of this world so shall it be as in the days before Jesus comes again. (Matthew 24:36-42) Two men will be sitting at a football game, one will be left, the other gone. Two women will be shopping together at the mall, one will be taken, the other left. We haven't a clue as to the exact day or hour, but this we do know, just as the first drops of rain fell and the first springs of the earth burst forth to flood the earth, one day the first blow from Gabriel's horn will happen, the sky will burst forth with radiant light and Jesus will come and take His children home! Oh glorious day!!

Two other lessons observed in small group: Methuselah was Noah's grandpa (this I remembered from my childhood) and he was also the oldest man to ever have lived. 969 years to be exact. I didn't know however what his name meant, that basically "his death would bring the flood". The more I think of this, the more I stand in awe of God's amazing grace and patience with us!  He gave the world then, so much grace and patience to allow Methuselah to live to be 969 years old! That's a LOT of grace and patience, folks!  

Also, reminded me of how much grace and patience He is still having with us today. He desires for none to perish as 2 Peter 3:9 tells us, "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."   He desires for all of us to come to the saving knowledge of His amazing grace! Have you chosen to "get in the ark" of His security and protection?  May we continue to encourage one another in the Lord, all the more for we know that day is approaching! OH that glorious day!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for another wonderful post. Where else could anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing?
    Faucets Canada

    ReplyDelete