Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Discouragement and Prayers

Do you ever have days when you are just discouraged from encouraging? That may sound really lame and is, I'm sure, really shallow, but I'm just being real! There are days that I feel like all I do is try and try and try and get nothing in return...know what I mean? You call, you text, you email, you send cards, etc. etc. etc. You pour! You pour! You pour! And the cup is dry! Its like my cup just keeps pouring til the very last drop is gone and I thirst! But oh the blessed fountain that fills me up time and time again!
I'm reminded more and more over each passing day that He is always there! He's always enough! AND He is always ready to fill my cup to overflowing, so that I may be used of Him however He sees fit! I'm not really sure how folks live without having Jesus as that constant in their lives. I've grown up always knowing that He loved me and cared for me...what do you do without that knowledge?? So thankful for a godly family that made sure I knew the truth!
Okay, so now that you know how shallow I can be let me share something great that happened yesterday:
I was not having a very good day (to say the least!) and could not reach any of my "prayer partners" and really needed one at the time! Then out of the blue, I get a text from a precious friend in Mississippi that read: "Was just sitting here at lunch memorizing scripture and praying. Felt led to say a prayer for you and whatever you're facing today. Thanks for being a friend!" How cool is that??!!! Just a little way of God filling my cup!! My day didn't get better immediately, but by the time I crawled in bed last night I could look back over the day and see His hands holding me through the whole 24 hours! He held me by leading a friend in another state to pray for me. He held me in a hug from a friend. He held me as I read and listened to His word. He held me over dinner with a precious, young friend who is wise beyond her 18 years! He held me as I walked into my home to a wondeful husband and two precious children! He's holding us...every day, in every little way! Now, I'm encouraged! :)

2 comments:

  1. I totally get that feeling! There are some days where I'm being a complete Barnabas and NO ONE seems to appreciate it and I'm just like...well...thanks a lot?

    BUT, you saying 'You pour! You pour! You pour!' made me think...aren't we called to be poured out on others? To give until there's nothing of us left to give? I know it stinks, but by doing all this pouring, you're being Christ to those people. Does that make any sense whatsoever? If not, it made sense in my head. :)

    I think I'll go get some water now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can totally relate. I'm reminded of what we learned in "Loving Well." He IS the Loving Well and we have to remember to constantly dip into the well before we can pour out on others. This was huge for me. Many of the times when I feel so empty, it's because I haven't been to the Well! I've "poured" on my own strength. And yes, I LOVE it when God uses someone out of the blue to encourage us when we least expect it. Many times we get cards or emails from folks we don't even know and they always come at the times we need them most! God is so good!!

    I'm with Rebekah - don't know if this made sense or not, but thanks, Toya, for sharing. Thanks for being "real" and transparent. Your post has encouraged me!

    ReplyDelete