Sunday, April 24, 2011

"I want to be just like her when I grow up!"

Wow! How many times have I uttered those words about this particular lady?  Have you ever met someone that is just SO totally, without any doubt, genuine to the very core...sweet? Expecting nothing from the other person, but just loves...regardless? Patient beyond belief? A prayer warrior like no other?

My family and I live in another state from our extended families, so in many ways, our church family becomes our extended family. Its not that we wouldn't love to be with our families for every holiday, but being married to a preacher, well, thats just not always possible...especially with Easter.  Some days I get a little jealous of the families who get to gather together for Easter lunch and Easter egg hunts with all the cousins, etc, but there's not a fiber in my being that would have my family doing anything but the perfect will of God!  So, we celebrate on days like today with families we choose for ourselves, not the ones God gave us to begin with...and you know what? I think He likes that!

This "choosing" a family here, where we are is how this lady became so very dear to us.  She is one that prays for my family and my kids, truth be told, as much or more than I do. She has never been a "mom" in the literal sense, but as I sat in her home today I fully believe she is much more of a mom/grandmother than many found worldwide. Her heart and love is pure because of Who's love is in her. She is filled with God's grace, beauty and love and as He pours in to her, she is continually pouring into others.  Today, Easter, she hosted several different families (including ours) that are no relation to her, as well as having six international students join us from China, Taiwan, and Malaysia!  Her heart is just SO full, it just has to pour!

She is always sending notes, cards, taking dinner, and serving wherever and whenever an opportunity arises, not to mention taking birthday goodies to nursing homes on a regular basis. Her home is my "house of sanity", for those days that my kids are driving me crazy, she'll call out of the blue and say "hey, can the kids come over?"  Yes, her house brings sanity to my house!  My kids adore her and consider her one of their best friends, who says age has anything to do with friendships??  My husband has no bigger encourager in our church family and I have no bigger help, mentor, guide, prayer warrior, friend here in Conway!

Jason and I have both been blessed with amazing moms by birth whom we love and adore, and we are thankful to God for blessing us with another lady in our lives and in the lives of our children....many have known her as Mrs. Jensen, some as Gloria, some as Glo, but for my family, she's "Gigi"...and somewhere that has to mean "gift from God"!!!

And truly, I do SO want to be like her when I grow up! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love those two people. They are quiet and gentle servants, and God uses them all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's not forget those many college pancake breakfasts! Love the Jensen's!

    ReplyDelete