Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cornucopia of Blessings

Cornucopia?  That's just a really funny word...and yes I did have to spell check it!  Did you know this "horn of plenty" dates back to ancient Greece and the year 1508?!!  Its used for decorating purposes and is a symbol of abundance and when it comes to blessings...that is just the word I needed to use!  I have been blessed! Blessed and surrounded by love!
Tonight I choose to view my life at this time of the year as a cornucopia, and God as the One who fills it with fruit..."blessings".  I'm about to make a list, don't you love making lists?  Making a "blessings list" is always, well, its always a blessing!  Its so easy living in the Bible belt, blessed with many simple things, to just take what all we've been given for granted.
I was reminded of that earlier as I was talking to my son and praying with and for him.  My heart's desire is for my children to grow in their love for the Lord...to honestly love the Lord their God with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength! Then to love others, to put others needs before our wants and to have a spirit of gratefulness for all that He has blessed us with.  As I tucked him into bed and came back in the living room and sat down, God whispered to me..."do you?  Do you really love me with all of you heart, soul, mind and strength? Do you seek to serve others with needs before you fulfill your wants? Are you truly grateful for the blessings I have placed in your life?"
Well, Ouch! God!  That hurt, but what a blessed reminder!  So, here's my list:
  1. lets start with the obvious, the God of universe!  The very One who created everything. I mean everything!  He desires to have a relationship with me.  He wants me to spend time with Him. If I had to choose just one thing to be thankful for, it will always be my relationship with Him.
  2. my parents, married over 45 years and still very much in love, they have been an example of a godly couple to many folks over the years.  My childhood was not perfect, there are no perfect ones, but I always knew I was loved and for a child, that is what they NEED to know.
  3. the hot guy that walked into my little East Texas Baptist church back in the mid-80's to "check out the new girl in town" (which happened to be me) and stole my heart.  I have known many amazing and godly men in my life, but when I think of someone who is a true leader, full of humility, compassion, strength, patience, love, a man's man, but yet full of gentleness and mercy, well, I think of Jason Aultman.  He is all those things.  There are days I feel so very unworthy to be his wife and wonder why in the world God would choose to bless me with a man like him, but then I just thank Him that He did!
  4. my children's daddy...okay, same person as #3, but not only is he the ultimate husband, he is the ultimate daddy as well.  I love to hear Landri's giggles as she squeals "tickle me, daddy!" I love to watch him coach Turner's teams...whatever season it may be.  I love to watch the three of them walk out of the garage and crawl into Daddy's truck every Friday morning, because Daddy takes them to breakfast every single Friday morning of the school year.  Mostly, I love to hear them pray together, especially when they know I'm not listening! 
  5. Antioch Baptist Church!!  What a major blessing in our lives.  I often wonder what my life would be like if I didn't marry a preacher, but I can't think of doing anything else and I cannot think of doing "life together" with a better group of folks than those in our "family" at church. God shows up every Sunday in a mighty way and it is so much fun to have a front row view of all the amazing things He is doing at Antioch!  On the very rare occasion we are not able to be there (and trust me those occasions are really once in a blue moon!) I miss it. Like honestly, heart wrenching! I just love worshiping our Lord and Savior with these brothers and sisters!  We just have a blast!
  6. "Friends in our lifetime, came just at the right time" (words from a song sang at our wedding)...how I can look back over my life and see how God has placed the exact person in my life at a specific time because He knew it was who I needed!  There have been friends who were in my life to be an encouragement for me and then there have been those that God led me to be the encourager.  Some have been for a season, and some I know will be there for all time. Old friends, young friends, near friends, far away friends, hug your neck on Sundays friends, and talk with you every day friends, friends I rarely see, and friends I see every week; you all are so very dear to me!  You. Are. A. Blessing!!
  7. Discipleship.  Yes, discipleship.  Its something fairly new in my life, but what a blessing.  I had the wonderful blessing of discipling one of my high school seniors last year for a while and this year I'm meeting regularly with two of our college girls and a couple others when time allows.  Sharing with these amazing young ladies just blesses my socks off!!  Molly, Marissa, and Megan, I love you girls so very much and pray for you daily!!  I am also being discipled!  Crazy as it sounds, this old chick has someone discipling me...we just met today!  We are going through a book "Strong Women, Soft Hearts" together and wow! Its amazing how God leads someone else to a book that He knew was exactly what you needed at this time in your life.  Well, that is what He did....He led Jerene to get me this book and it is life changing!  Thanks so much for the influence you are having on my life, dear friend!  I love our times together!
  8. my CrossTraining Class (thats a fancy name our youth pastor came up with for Sunday School).  Every Sunday morning at 9:45 I have the awesome opportunity to meet with some of the most amazing 11th and 12th grade girls around!  We don't always agree, but we always love!  We get into some great discussions and try to be transparent and allow God to break our hearts for what breaks His.  It is such a blessing to see Him working in their lives and in turn, seeing them do things to bring glory to the Father!  There are many hurts, fears, & insecurities this life throws at these young ladies and my desire is to love them, above all else and point them to Him at every opportunity! Oh how I love you girls!!
  9. my heart that has been turned toward Missions...whether it be across the street or around the world, God is breaking my heart to show His love to those I come in contact with every day. We are not all called to go to Africa, but we can serve where we are.  Right now.  Whether that be leading my children, my CrossTraining class, Discipling, or even encouraging those who are on foreign soil serving our Lord...my ministry is right where I am. Today. Period.
  10. Pain...that may sound like a strange thing to be thankful for, but I realized today that I was thankful for pain.  The pain that is deep. The kind that only God can heal you of.  Many of us go through many different things in life and we keep it all pushed down inside of us so everyone thinks all is okay.  We can't live our lives until its dealt with.  We will never have that abundant life in Him, until we really, truly allow Him access to those areas of deepest pain.  He wants to fulfill our deepest desires, they came from Him, He put them in us and little by little, He is restoring. He is filling. But yes, I'm thankful for pain, because without it, I'm not quite sure I'd be so grateful!
Well, there's a start.  These are the big things, but don't think the little things don't matter.  They do!  In fact, all of these broken down, would have a list far too long of little things that make them the big things! If that makes sense at all!  Its those little things like a husband getting up and fixing breakfast when your parents are in town, dirty little hands of your child bringing you flowers they picked themselves, a cup of coffee with a friend, the song that just came on the radio you really needed to hear...those little things..."God Smiles"....add them all up and I have my list of gratefulness.   Yes, Turner, we are blessed!  We are blessed to be blessing, now let's do it!  Because truly our cornucopia runneth over!!!!

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how much we have to be thankful for--I am trying to keep track, and it's hopeless. The list is endless. But my heart is changing as I become more aware of God's beauty all around. Thanks for sharing your wonderful blessings with us!

    ReplyDelete