Tuesday, November 2, 2010

To Live a Life that Leaves a Legacy

(this blog dedicated to the memory of Jill Jarvis Attebery)

There is a song I hear quite often on the KLOVE's radio station, and I also have it on my Itunes account and probably the CD of it too, but its the song Legacy, by Nichole Nordeman.  If you have not heard it, here are the words:


I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much
I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy
Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

(and here it is in video form if you want to hear it)

What an awesome message!  The things we do on this earth, they do matter!  They will make a difference in the lives of all those we come in contact with.  

Two years ago today, I had a precious and dear friend of mine taken from this earth in a horrible car accident, leaving behind her husband and an almost 3 month old new baby boy.  I remember the night that baby was born, I wasn't there at the hospital, but she kept texting me to let me know how things were progressing.  We had waited and prayed for this child for years and now God was blessing her with the whole experience of being a "mommy".  I still have the sweetest picture on a shelf in my living room of her holding that baby...a picture of His amazing grace!

She was a "mommy" on this earth, in the world sense, for only a short time; but actually she had "mothered" many over her years on this earth.  I watched her as she went on mission trip after mission trip and discipled young lady after young lady...leaving her legacy.  And now, today, two years later, I know missionaries on the field that served with her, beside her and was encouraged by her.  And young ladies too numerous to count, that had their lives changed by the God of the universe because of Jill's influence in their lives.
She loved life. She loved people. She loved to laugh. She loved to serve. She just loved.  She got "it", that we are put on this earth to make a difference, and she did!

Thanking our God today for the awesome legacy she has left behind and the lives I'm still seeing touched today! Mine included!  I'm reminded of the words of Jill herself, that are written on a bookmark in my Bible:
"How awesome it is that NOTHING around us, in us, near us, or anything like that can separate us from God's love! (Romans 8:35-39) May you rest in the promise of Romans 8:28-'that ALL THINGS work together for GOOD for those who love God and are called according to His purpose.' God's words NEVER FAIL!"

We had plans to have lunch the week after her accident, we had actually set it up the day of her wreck.  And I can rest in knowing that one of these days we'll be eating at the same table again...and better still, in the presence of our Lord!  (for today, God, can you just give her a hug from me?)

a moment caught a two years ago when Landri and I got to keep Bryce
(we had to take him shopping and get Christmas clothes!)

1 comment: