Monday, September 26, 2011

"The Classics Series"

My favorite pastor in the world began a new series yesterday and I thought it might be fun to blog each Monday about what exactly God may be trying to pound into my head. So here goes:

He is taking those simple Bible stories that, if we have grown up in church, have heard since the little wooden toddler chairs and flannel graph board days. Even if we were not raised in church, odds are you have heard these stories anyway. Many people have tried to do away with them. Schools (in the US) prohibit them. Our government tries to outlaw them. Wars have been fought over them. Men have died to protect them. Still, the truths of the Bible are still as new and as exciting today as the time of which they were written. God. He cannot be stopped. Oh for this simple truth I am forever grateful!

This week's "classic" was "David & Goliath" and just simple ways we can apply truths from the life of David to our lives today. If you want a background of the story, read 1 Samuel 17, its all there. Here are some truths that God shared with me:

*We need to be very careful to not put trust in ourselves, but ONLY in the Lord.  Goliath put confidence in self, his stature, his muscles, his armor...much like we put trust in things today...its easy to find status in our wealth, what kind of car we drive, what kind of clothes we wear, our homes, our activities, our busyness...we need to be on constant guard that these things do not become our purpose or passion.
"Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
   but we trust in the name of the LORD our God." (Psalm 20:7)



*Like Eliab (David's brother) and the Israelite Army we cannot allow our faith to be defined by the pressures of the moment! (insert BAM! to my head here)  When the heat is on, where is my security?  Am I a cultural Christian? Am I different on Sunday than I am Monday-Saturday? How I react to every day things tell a lot about my faith and my character (double BAM!).

*Just as David had a giant to face, we have our own giants of today. They may come through a diagnosis, a betrayal, a failure, a natural disaster, the stock market, a death, a change....at these times, we have to see the "giant" in comparison to God.  And absolutely nothing compares to Him!

I think the one thing that hit me the most out of yesterday's sermon was that David went on the offense. He didn't sit back and wait for Goliath to come toward him. David knew, without a doubt, Who was on his side. I find myself, lagging in this area of faith often times. I live life on the defense, I may be ready to tackle a giant, but only if I have to. I do believe its time to go on the offense. Lets face it, some giants need to be charged at and slain! My desire is to live with the proper focus: the battle belongs to the Lord and our ultimate goal in life is just to bring glory to His name!  "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)


Now, let's go in faith, knowing God is holding us, and slay some giants!


If you would like to listen to the sermon in its entirety here's the link:
http://antiochconway.com/site/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=69

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!!! I needed this word today. :-) Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete