Friday, September 23, 2011

Do You Know A Pollyanna?

I suppose for you to realize whether you know one you might want the definition. Here is what I found while looking for the "Word Origin and History":
Pollyanna 
"one who finds cause for gladness in the most difficultsituations," 1921, in allusion to Pollyanna Whittier, child heroine of U.S. novelist Eleanor Hodgman Porter's "Pollyanna" (1913) and"Pollyanna Grows Up" (1915), noted for keeping her chin up during disasters.

So do you know one? Are you one perhaps? Or does life seem to rob us of that innocence of believing and looking for the good in every person and every circumstance?

I remember growing up in a very happy home and being Pollyanna came quite easy. Even when I would put my socks in my drawer, I recall folding them up in a way that when I opened my drawer all of my socks would be "smiling" at me. Yeah, for real, over.board. :)  But I do remember it making me happy. Even into high school, I remember my principal nicknamed me "Squirrel" because he said I was always smiling.

Then life happens. Hurts come. Disappointments become the norm. You realize that the world is not made up of the kind of people you've been surrounded by your whole life. And even some of the very kind of people, church people, you have been surrounded by can cause the greatest pain. It can turn one bitter. Apathetic. Hardened. And to lose all Pollyanna type innocence and ability to look for good. 

I'll admit, I had become that person. I could still talk the talk, but to walk the walk was a whole other story. Its hard to always be positive; to be filled, ready to pour out mercy and grace to people. Its a daily struggle. A struggle that daily has to go to the Father. When I begin to pour out of my own cup, its quickly emptied and I have no patience for anyone, especially my family. When I allow Him to fill me, some days it takes more than one filling, its much easier to splash His mercy and grace on those who try my patience and drive me insane. 

As a child of the King, the one thing I still struggle with is that inner independence that I can tackle life on my own. I realize in doing this, its like putting my 11 year old dressed in his football gear out in front of an NFL line. It will be doomed for disaster. I will not succeed. Why do I try?  Life is a team effort and we have to surround ourselves with team players that can help defend us, go on the offense (to their knees) for us, and be willing to do the same for them. 

As a former Pollyanna, its hard for me to ask for help, because I feel as if I'm letting others down. Its hard to admit I'm struggling with life and need prayers. That oppression can bog one down or that others are draining me. I'd much rather go back to my old ways, put on the mask of Pollyanna, and go through the day all smiles and full of encouragement. I mean, that's what others expect. 

Now don't get me wrong, I realize I am blessed beyond anything I ever could have dreamed of and God has my hand and for that I am so very grateful!  Being human is not always easy, but then again, God knew that it wouldn't be. He sent us, His children, His Spirit, to comfort us, guide us, and allow us to feel wrapped in His arms. How can I not be Pollyannaish on the days I allow Him to do that for me?!!
 
Now do you remember what was on Pollyanna's locket?  "When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Abraham Lincoln.  So today, why don't we try looking for the good in those we meet. I read a quote the other day that said something like "don't assume you know someone by one snapshot of their life, it takes a whole photo album".  Take time today to look through someone's photo album and be a Pollyanna for them. 

Hebrews 10:24-25
“Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment